Saturday, January 7, 2012

You Have to Have a Vision

Last year I was involved in a leadership course through MGSM. Being a sponge for knowledge I really enjoyed this course and kept comprehensive notes on all things “leadership”.

One of the activities during this course was visualisation. Having a strong imagination and an easy ability to “float off” I found this challenge a welcome distraction.

We were asked to visualise ourselves in 15 years time at a party. I love parties, so it was not hard to imagine being at one!  

Where was it? Who were we with? What were we celebrating?

Falling into a party vision for me was wonderful, my mind really ran with it - so much so that I had my first real sense of clarity through this one 5 minute exercises.

We were asked to draw a picture of our party. (pic below, remember I am not an artist).

My party went something like this:

It was a summery dusk evening in Sydney with a purple pink sky littered with a few clouds. I was standing in a room full of smiling friends and family with a glass of champagne in my hand. I’m sure I was wearing Akira. Bright, light and happy. Even though I normally shy away from being the centre of attention, I was happy having glasses raised around me.

The penthouse venue was floor to ceiling glass on one side and we overlooked the gorgeous Botanical Gardens; I will never tire of this view. It was a party in full swing, joyous and celebratory.

I was on the board of directors for a not-for-profit organisation and we were celebrating a successful execution of a project in a developing country - slightly hypocritical being in such a swish place - but I justified this as a corporate sponsorship party. After all, fundraising is key to any successful not-for-profit organisation.  

I loved my vision, it seemed achievable and gave me something I could work towards. A solid and clear goal that sat well with my character.

The next step in the exercises was to write a timeline on how we would manage to achieve this party, and this is where the real clarity set in. In previous goal setting exercises I always started at the beginning, not at the vision.

What personal attributes did I need to ensure my vision became a reality?

- Greater business acumen
- Fundraising skills
- Financially independent
- Support from family and friends

The next step was to work out how I managed to attain this. As a project manager, I have learnt to map everything out as small achievable tasks and put them into a timeline. This has proved more useful in my unemployment than when I was managing large scale projects.

Not only was I now looking for a job, but I was looking for a job that would lead me on my path to my vision. The role I would land would be one small component of my “Vision Project”.

In order to do an organisation true justice I would need more experience in a  middle-management position in my field of expertise: Crisis Management / Emergency Assistance. Being a niche market this may be difficult to procure, so I have also considered other industries and roles where my skills can develop further.

I need greater general management experience, preferably offshore in a developing country.

I also need to be financially independent. Thus the 15 years.

To achieve these goals I knew that not only did I require more hands on experience but also formal qualifications. This will provide theoretical knowledge and would also would give me a disciplined approach to learning.

My vision is written on a piece of paper I keep beside my bed for easy reference. I have not added or amended this vision and given its importance I think I will have it laminated to keep with me at all times.

I have absolute belief in myself that my vision will be realised - starting with a new Akira dress.







No comments:

Post a Comment