Friday, January 13, 2012

War and Peace

Last night I watched the epic movie War and Peace based on Tolstoy's novel.

I didn't plan on watching it and I didn't really have the three and a half hours to sit in front of the TV, but something on the cover caught my eye and I couldn’t resist. Perhaps it was Audrey Hepburn in that lovely dress, perhaps it was the word: Peace, or perhaps subliminally I could relate with my own journey of unemployment. Whatever it was I sat down and only hit the pause button twice.

The love story was beautiful, the unexpected happened but was always there. But as love stories go, I have to say I was disappointed. Audrey (Natasha) ended up with whoever was left over, an older man who was on his own journey after a life of debauchery and chaos. Not that she was pure of heart, she had been influenced and led astray by a sleazy fool while she was engaged to a lovely noble man, the Colonel (Andre).

The story of war and battles intrigued me. Suddenly I understood that ambiguous cliche of “winning the battle but not winning the war”.

This is my employment journey - I lost the battle but I am determined to win the war.

The battle for me was trying to remain focused in my job while there were bombs going off all around me. Some of those bombs were aimed at me, and most of them missed. I was well protected by my army and my leadership was strong. The enemy however was stronger and in the end - the enemy won the battle.

I left that job a little battle scarred, but much less naive. A learnt lessons in that battle that have made me a stronger person, a better employee and far more focused leader.

Who did I relate to in the story? Probably Andre - reliable, hard working and focused. He might have died in the end, but lets face it - we all do. He went with honour and courage, qualities I share.

Trying to find a job is not exactly a war, but it does require a well thought out strategy. Today I sit in my war room with pen and paper to “nut it out” and think it through before executing it. My war room happens to be a comfy couch at the local coffee shop and my army are my network of friends, family and associates including my executive coach and recruitment agencies.

With that kind of an army - how can I lose?





Photo by http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapies/

No comments:

Post a Comment