Thursday, January 5, 2012

Looking for a job is like looking for a man.

I am very fortunate to say I am happily married and not on the market to be searching for a man, but the parallels are so similar that whenever I catch up with single girlfriends, it’s almost like we’re talking about the same thing.

Take my friend (not her real name) Sophie. Gorgeous, intelligent, funny, cheeky, independent and extremely interesting. After months of searching for Mr Right, she is now employing a strategy similar to my previous job search strategy. Online.

She has set up a profile on an online dating service, just like I set up a profile on various online recruitment pages.

Her profile outlines her specific characteristics that she hopes will attract the right person to contact her for an invitation to discuss meeting.

My LinkedIn profile was carefully written with the help of a professional consultant in order to attract people to view it with the hope of contacting me to discuss employment opportunities.

She has a set criteria for the kind of man she wants and definite ideas on the men she wants to avoid. I think her “men to avoid” list is quite long.

I have very specific criteria of the organisation I want to work for and especially those I would never contemplate being employed by. My ideal job is with a Not For Profit organisation doing a role similar to what I am great at - crisis management. My list of least favourite jobs is long, with gambling organisations and garbage runs at the top of the list.

When contacted by a man to meet up, Sophie gets very excited. After googling and researching the “most wanted” lists to clear her date, she’ll let her friends know about him and ask for advice on what to wear and what to talk about. She’ll prepare a mental list of questions and discussion topics and rehearse in front of the mirror her first impressions smile and “look”.

When I get a call from a company about a job, I am thrilled. I start a comprehensive research paper on the company including their organisation culture, growth, major competitors, attrition rate and reputation. I let close friends know about it and then I plan on breaking-the-ice topics, as well as a list of questions for the interview. I recall advice on what to wear (and what not to wear), practice my smile, and then I rehearse my 2 minute elevator pitch in front of a mirror. (Unless my children, husband or dog are home and then they get to rehearse with me).

On the date, Sophie shines. Why wouldn’t she? She’s gorgeous, funny, very intelligent and the least “needy” person I know.  

In an interview (apart from the shoe-less one) - I shine too! I can engage easily with the hiring manager, I can rattle off my knowledge of the company and I can pitch my value proposition statement without coming off as desperate.

At the end of the date, Sophie likes to know if there is a future (short or long term). Its cruel to set an expectation and not follow up. Sophie values honesty and appreciates a man who is brave enough to say whether or not another date is on the cards. Or even if he’ll call and actually mean it.

At the end of my interview, I like to know the next steps. But this is where I get stuck. I get caught in the limbo of not knowing when to follow up after an interview or when to leave it be.

In the past I have been told - “we’re so interested in getting you on board, lets get something in writing to you at the end of the week” and then had to anxiously wait for more time than is expected, only to be told “another month”, “next year”......


I think I might read the book “He’s just not that into you”. 



online_dating.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment