Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Interviews - With or Without Shoes?

I’ve sat on both sides of the interview table and I know which side I prefer.

The hiring side! Although in saying that, I have also enjoyed the interview process from the candidates point of view (mostly).

The best kind of interview for me has been the coffee shop catch up. Casual, safe and with refreshments!

Then there are the one on one's in an office interview which are semi-structured but still slightly casual.

There are also the more intimidating - the panel interview of which I have normally been the hiring manager.

Recently I was interviewed for a position that I knew I was over qualified for. My coach suggested I still go because A) they had called me and B) interview practice.

Prior to the interview I was asked to submit a 5 minute screenr (like a webinar) on their product aimed at Corporate brand managers. Easy! Not only did I provide a brilliant marketing job for them, I really enjoyed doing it.

The job was very basic and a third of the salary I was expecting, so I considered that I would blitz the interview in a second. In fact I fantasised about having to turn them down gently. In my fantasy they acknowledged how great I was and wanted to throw more money at me just to have me on board. Fantasy over.

I recalled my stylist session and wore a nice crisp suit which was newly dry cleaned. My makeup was natural, and my hair had been done. I wore stockings. Silk no less.

I arrived on time, even after being caught in the rain, with my hair not quite so hairdresser perfect.

I made small talk about the open office and location when I introduced myself to break the ice. I smiled.

Then, I noticed the hiring manager was not wearing shoes.

We sat in the middle of the open office on very low couches (I regretted wearing a skirt suit) where I was joined by the the sales and marketing person as well as the shoe-less hiring manager.

The shoe-less one was typing on her laptop in front of me while asking questions. I had no idea if she was typing about me, or just carrying on her job in the middle of my interview. It unnerved me greatly. I was uncomfortable talking about confidential matters including salary in the midst of potential colleagues. I froze.

Instead of singing my praises about my numerous achievements, I stuttered. I wisp-ed. I flunked.

Needless to say the job offer of my fantasy world didn’t appear, in its place was a four letter rejection email from the shoe-less hiring manager: “I think we’ll pass”

I think I’ll pass too thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment