Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Acceptance

I have had less than a handful of jobs in my life, in fact in the past 20 years I have only ever been employed by three companies.

I was fresh out of high school when I landed my first job and it was merely by chance. I was visiting a friend for lunch and met her boss who offered me a job. It was entry level and doing basic administrative tasks and worked perfectly around my study and social life. I stayed in that company for 5 years learning the basics of business and only left because of my love for travel.

The second company I worked for was with my husband. When we had our son he decided to start a boutique IT company and I was excited to be involved in the start up. This experience gave me insight into running a company, general management, human resources, marketing and provided finer detail on business administration. I left after eight years to focus on family after the birth of my third child.

I’m a stayer. I find my place within a company quite easily; I land a role and I make it mine.

Leaving the first two companies was my choice and one that I had given much thought to. Acceptance was a given.

The third company I worked for was a large multi national where I started at the bottom of the ladder and worked my way up to dizzying heights over eight years. Because I was made redundant with immediate effect and not given prior warning, this made my departure much harder to accept.

Prior to acceptance there are many steps to process that are rarely discussed.

Disbelief. Anger. Despair. Anger again. Acknowledgement. Acceptance. Denial was never a part of the process for me but I believe many people who have been made redundant after long term employment also go into a denial stage where they fail to acknowledge they have lost a job.

My executive coach and consultant told me it would take time, and after 6 months I agree.

I now feel comfortable with the fact I do not work for that company anymore. I am no longer angry, or sad, or in disbelief.

Perhaps it was the lead up to the New Year in which I wrote my long term goals, or perhaps the cycle of time has led to this acceptance. Regardless, I am at peace with what happened and ready to move on to a new and great career.
After all, there are at least another good 20 years left in me!



No comments:

Post a Comment